Friday, August 15, 2008

Andrew's Reflections on Psalm 1... this is for you ryan.

The truth is this: I don't delight in the law of the Lord. Not the kind of delight that oozes with passion and excitement of a five-year old kid ready to put together the pieces of an unformed toy automobile after reading the manual. Not the same kind of delight as in taking a cup of cool water after a long tiring run. My approach to God's Word is more of a duty, the homework that I'm given to do, rather than like tasting honey from the honey comb. Maybe I am too harsh on myself because there are times God's Word jumps out at me and does taste like honey from the honeycomb. Inspite of the blessings the word of the Lord promises (eg. 'In all that he does, he prospers), yet the inertia to abide in God's word daily is still there. Why? Because its fruit is born slowly like that of the tree that grows its fruit in its season. Not as sinfully delightful as eating the fruit from the trees outside the garden, stealing that which should not be mine, so I would think at times. Yet, no matter how delightfully alluring is the prospect of unspiritual momentary highs through the fruits of distraction, they do not seem to strike right at the core of my heart, they don't seem to truly satisfy. They leave me looking for more highs to fill the emptiness. Highs don't fill, they only give me nice sensations. Just like eating junk food. They lead to trigger happiness yes, but not the sweet fruit of growth borne out of endurance and perseverance. With the view of growth in mind and pursued, 'delighting' (no matter how feelings of the moment suggest otherwise) in God's law and obeying His commandments is the better choice. Remember, sin often dresses her herself up in the most ephemerally attractive dresses, that are actually of no substance and whose ink fades away easily after a few weeks. Obeying God's word produces the pain of losing one's fleshly self-living, but ripens into the most succulent fruits. And by faith I claim this.

No comments: